KRISSTALK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Difficult to charge the Kriss

+46
Bushyar15
sniiped
6oldCoin
TwigPig
zythaxx
hubbuber
jonj313
gopguy
ZoaFan
Imola
Indysbr
P149U3
Th12t33n
patw
afponiky
MadDogDan
Seanm
JP422
TJ Raccoon
Fatboy99
Jedi380
Jbravo70
Canman
antivanity
AZ2000
P1X4R
Xn0r
Snw619
DV8
Sho530ia
beltfed
7c8
paladin
mambro
xflt
joewil1215
JSWAYNE
cpu77
Mozzer101
Raden
sheepdad556
Drax
CatMostFeared
nih
Solscud007
Nosegoblin
50 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Difficult to charge the Kriss - Page 3 Empty Re: Difficult to charge the Kriss

Post by Solscud007 Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:01 am

What is DROS?
Solscud007
Solscud007
MOD

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kriss-Super-V/157275704339968?sk=w

Back to top Go down

Post by mambro Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:24 am

Solscud007 wrote:What is DROS?
Dealer's Record of Sale; part of the joy that is California
mambro
mambro
MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Xn0r Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:58 pm

Yeh. You just have to put some ass into it. And like the manual says, pull from the inboard part of the handle as much as possible.

Also, lubricating that whole mechanism helps a bit too, and after I've put about 300 rds through it, it seems better.
Xn0r
Xn0r

Back to top Go down

Post by P1X4R Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:05 pm

yup, both my carbine and SDP's charging are both difficult to rack back. both are of recent manufacture so i'll assume this is "normal". i also have a friend who got a carbine recently with the same thing also.

P1X4R

Back to top Go down

Post by AZ2000 Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:05 am

Mine was the same way when new, I have a little over 700 rounds thru it and it will charge while holding the trigger group and pulling without putting it up to my shoulder. 65 and about 170 lbs. But still pretty. justkidding about the pretty.
AZ2000
AZ2000

Back to top Go down

Post by antivanity Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:08 pm

I just bought mine this last weekend, and its rough to get that charging handle all the way back.

antivanity

Back to top Go down

Post by Canman Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:36 pm

Glad someone posted this. Mines really hard to charge also. We just thought it needed alittle breakin. If it a known problem I'll send it back. Till then Iam just going to put alot of rounds downrange.

Canman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jbravo70 Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:19 am

Ok guys, you want to make the charging handle smoother and easy take down these steps. I also bought the California sdp version, and man was it hard to rack back. I am strong and been around guns all my life, but I had very hard time charging this handle back. My hand was swollen the 1st day I got it, I tried so hard that my hand was sore for days, I was really pissed, cause its a pricey firearm. Ok, step one: take it apart, u can find way on YouTube. Lube it up good inside but don't let it drip of oil when assembling it.
Step2: Charge handle back and leave bolt open. Do not put loaded magazine in it. Leave it in your safe like this for one week. This will soften the spring. You will be amazed, but not finished yet.
Step 3: fire at least 400-500 or more rounds through it. Clean it like in step 1. And put back in safe with bolt opened back again for another 1-2 weeks. Then it will be like u see in the videos. Trust me, this will work. The spring is big and hard, they made parts very big and hard so it would last and take the 45 cal punishment. This is the "seasoning" of the kriss, and will handle like a dream right after. You will notice difference after step 1. Hope this helps. :-)

Jbravo70

Back to top Go down

Post by Canman Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:00 am

You can put the charging handle in a bind also. Take yours apart and flip it upside down where you can see the inside of the charging handle. If you put inward pressure while pulling back you will put it in a bind. This could be some of the problem along with the stiff spring and some breakin time.
i really dont think it a defect with the Kriss. Kinda like a new Les Baer 1911 there just tight till you break them in.

Canman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedi380 Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:11 pm

Speaking of "other" stiff pistols when new, years ago I bought a new Springfield V-10 Ultramax. (Officer's model size with 10 ports in the barrel.)
I'm in reasonably good shape and have fired all kinds of semi-autos, but I had to rack the slide by putting the front on the edge of a table! I did that about 30 times, then took it to the range and eventually ran about 300 rounds through it, before I could rack it without gloves on. I also found it does NOT function well with certain hollow-points. It has a near-vertical feed ramp.
Now it functions perfectly (again, with the right loads) and is a good, solid performer and one of my regular CCW choices.

Probably going to get a new barrel for it with no ports though, the flash is "impressive" and the first shot totally covers the front sight. Suspect
Jedi380
Jedi380

Back to top Go down

Post by Jbravo70 Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:44 pm

Canman wrote:You can put the charging handle in a bind also. Take yours apart and flip it upside down where you can see the inside of the charging handle. If you put inward pressure while pulling back you will put it in a bind. This could be some of the problem along with the stiff spring and some breakin time.
i really dont think it a defect with the Kriss. Kinda like a new Les Baer 1911 there just tight till you break them in.

huh???

Jbravo70

Back to top Go down

Post by Solscud007 Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:51 pm

What he means is. Depending how you grab the charging handle, it can cause more friction.

If you grab the end of the charging handle (furthest away from the side of the gun) the charging handle will act like a lever and push more inward intot he gun causing drag.

So you need to chok up on the charging handle. grab as close to the side of the Vector as possible before you pull back.

This is a minor issue. Unless you exaggerate the grip on the charging handle. there isnt much chance of binding the parts. The culprit is the recoil spring.
Solscud007
Solscud007
MOD

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kriss-Super-V/157275704339968?sk=w

Back to top Go down

Post by Fatboy99 Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:47 pm

Same story here, guy at dealer couldn't charge it. I tried it at home and couldn't charge it. Called Kriss and they explained to hold charging handle close to gun and basically pull like hell, don't be afraid that you're going to hurt the gun. The trick is to push with right hand as pulling back with left. I can charge it no problem now, but my M4 helluva lot easier . I suspect few more rounds and good cleanup and lube job will improve the situation .

Fatboy99

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Raccoon Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:07 pm

New Kriss owner, just picked up my CA compliant version in Jan 2012. Just like the other posts very tough to charge at first. After firing a few hundred rounds and a good cleaning/lubing of the track the bolt rides in ..... it got better. I live in a state where I need to keep the cable lock on the gun. Hoping my "breaks in" a little more over time with the bolt back. Mine was manufactured in Dec 2012.

TJ Raccoon

Back to top Go down

Post by JP422 Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:36 pm

Awesome site~ Glad I found this!

I have the same hard to charge issues, as well as frequent FTE and occasional FTF.
Overall I love this firearm, and want to stick it out to get it running perfect so I can enjoy it.
I want to use it for home defense too, but I just cant until I know it's reliable, and easy to function.

I have maybe 800 rounds through it... and each time out was frustrating to emabarrasing at times.
Such a cool looking weapon, that' tough to use. I'm not giving up though.
I tried cleaning and lubing several times. Different oils and even tried greasing the rails too... but they didn't fix anything.
My hands and fingers are so sore right now from practicing to rack Kriss.
Holding it near the frame on the charge handle is ok, but still hard. Holding the chargehandle at the ends just make it bind.
And the main spring tension is incredibly hard.

Anyway, thanks to this site, I saw the thread about the updates and revisions made. My Kriss CRB originally shipped out around July 2012, new from the factory,
and had maybe 30% of the revisions mentioned on this site. I'm definitely going to send it back to have the smiths do their magic. can't wait to see the difference.
Last night at the range, my friend brought out his HK USC .45 and we compared it to my Kriss. His shoots so smooth and feels so good...
I can't wait to get mine dialed in!

JP422

Back to top Go down

Post by AZ2000 Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:44 am

I recently finished a 1000+ round no clean test on my CRB and found this by accident. When I bought it new it was super tight when I tried to charge it and after about 3 to 5 hundred rounds, it started to get liveable. After running the 1000 through it, I took it apart and cleaned from top to bottom lubricating all parts as indicated, however it was getting late and I missed putting some grease on the bolt guide rails and bolt. When I went to do a charge check, it was almost like it was new again and really hard to operate the charging handle. I lubricated the bolt and internal rails with grease and ran the bolt all the way through it's travel cycle 2 or 3 times by hand to spread the grease and lubricate the full rail length, then reassembled the spring and lower. Now it's back to 2 fingers to charge, full cartridge eject with or without a full magazine and working like it was before I cleaned it. My thought, seems like it is tight in the bolt and rail travel cycle and if not lubricated properly, the bolt and rail friction along with the spring resistance, make it very hard to charge. In other words, It wasn't broke, just dry and tight? Twisted Evil
AZ2000
AZ2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanm Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:45 pm

I recently purchased a CA model. It was almost impossible to charge when I received it. Called Kriss, they told me to remove the mag and cycle the action about 25 times. Make sure you grip the charging handle against the plastic. The return spring has been beefed up for longevity. I actually did it for 2 days straight and it made a big difference. As you shoot around 500 rounds it should loosen up even more per Kriss. Stop being a bunch of little PUSSYS and actually put some effort into it.

Seanm

Back to top Go down

Post by Xn0r Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:52 pm

^^^^ What he said. Mine was the same when I first got it. I didn't pull as hard as I could because I was afraid of breaking my new gun.

Then I got over that and figured out how to charge it. I basically give it a good yank on the inboard part of the handle and lock it back. Speed in pulling it back seems to matter, because the momentum helps prevent it from binding.

It also gets way better after you've put some rounds through. And as a previous poster said, lubricate all the moving parts, and it improves things. Especially the runners for the handle itself.

I've found that the runner on which the charging handle itself slides is where it binds the most, especially if you grip it outboard.

IMHO, Kriss should have used a sealed roller bearing setup here and the charging would likely be much easier, since you wouldn't be fighting against the metal-on-plastic binding of the charging runner, but just the recoil spring.
Xn0r
Xn0r

Back to top Go down

Post by MadDogDan Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:20 pm

People should stop trying to rack the charging handle on an empty mag. If you want to lock the bolt back, then rack the handle without an empty mag and push the back of the bolt hold open to lock the bolt in place. Otherwise you are not only fighting the force of the recoil spring but mag follower pressure and the bolt stop pushing up on the bottom of the bolt as well.

JMHO,
MadDog

MadDogDan

Back to top Go down

Post by afponiky Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:45 pm

Seanm wrote:I recently purchased a CA model. It was almost impossible to charge when I received it. Called Kriss, they told me to remove the mag and cycle the action about 25 times. Make sure you grip the charging handle against the plastic. The return spring has been beafed up for longevity. I actually did it for 2 days straight and it made a big difference. As you shoot around 500 rounds it should loosen up even more per Kriss. Stop being a bunch of little PUSSYS and actually put some effort into it.
[i][u]

Haa Haa, that was great! Very Happy
afponiky
afponiky

Back to top Go down

Post by patw Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:35 pm

It's like shooting and working out at the same time.

patw

Back to top Go down

Post by Th12t33n Sun May 05, 2013 6:56 pm

I just recently bought my SDP, the Charging handle as most commented is Super hard, I put 200 rounds through my gun the first day. It didnt losen or ease up at all still hard as hell.

Call me a pussy and whatever but my arm feels like it pulled a muscle after cycleing the action all day trying to get it worked in. Also i had about 15 FTF outta 200 rounds of PMC .45 230gr. Appeared to be very light primer strikes.. Put them back in some shot on second go. the ones that didnt all shot out of my xd fine.

Funny thing is when i went to buy it the guy showing me it couldnt rack it back he tried a few times grunting then sorta handed to me like i didnt see him struggling haha.

Th12t33n

Back to top Go down

Post by P149U3 Mon May 06, 2013 1:31 am

mine has never had a problem charging just have to put some strength into it because that bolt system does go back down right behind the mag well.
P149U3
P149U3

Back to top Go down

Post by Indysbr Mon May 06, 2013 7:20 pm

Good video. I remember seeing a video on here once that Kriss made on showing proper techique on charging the weapon. P149U3 did it exactly how they showed.

Indysbr

Back to top Go down

Post by Imola Tue May 07, 2013 4:44 pm

when I first got the gun, it was almost impossible to charge. Stripped it apart, clean and put some EWL, it works great now. definitely not as light/smooth as the SCAR, but it's manageable. In fact, the charging is very short and positive.

Imola

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next