KRISSTALK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's more accurate: sdp or crb (is 5.5" barrel all the 45 acp needs )

3 posters

Go down

What's more accurate: sdp or crb (is 5.5" barrel all the 45 acp needs ) Empty What's more accurate: sdp or crb (is 5.5" barrel all the 45 acp needs )

Post by theviolin3 Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:04 pm

I'm was about to purchase the crb when I ran into the video by  iraqvetern8888 and now I need some input from owners of the two out there. The claim is the 5.5" barrel is all the 45 acp needs to spend the velocity. In saying that meaning the 16" barrel is just more friction to build. You know the principle the longer the barrel the more accuracy granted. Could the SDP be all I need when I want to test my skill? Or am I just thinking this point way too much?  The videos are quite impressive and they succeed in hitting the gong at 200-300yd range with both guns.

theviolin3

Back to top Go down

What's more accurate: sdp or crb (is 5.5" barrel all the 45 acp needs ) Empty Re: What's more accurate: sdp or crb (is 5.5" barrel all the 45 acp needs )

Post by TwigPig Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:51 pm

Here is an example. Picture of my Wife's first time shooting my Kriis. It subsequently became hers. SDP with Sig brace at 25 yards. If you know what the round will do you can make it land where you want it too. I have shot it at 200 on a 3 foot steel plate. I don't carry the Kriss for shots beyond 100yds and I carry my Kriss on patrol every day.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f38/18/20/74/78/image11.jpg
TwigPig
TwigPig

Back to top Go down

What's more accurate: sdp or crb (is 5.5" barrel all the 45 acp needs ) Empty Re: What's more accurate: sdp or crb (is 5.5" barrel all the 45 acp needs )

Post by theviolin3 Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:04 pm

excellent response! Geez im really up a creek on this choice. I was set to get the crb but now that you added you actually carry it on patrol is the added wow factor!

theviolin3

Back to top Go down

Post by TwigPig Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:54 pm

Violin,
I purchased a Kriss after a lot of research on this site. Some of the Kriss's biggest supporters actually cautioned me about using a Kriss for duty / patrol use because of its "finicky" nature. I have over 10,000 rds through mine with many mods made through the process. Never gave a crap about the warranty. I have had communication with Kriss management and they helped me out, but not as much as Kriss Talk. If I hadn't done research and someone handed me a stock SDP to shoot and it had a malfunction, like most do out the gate, I would have dropped it and walked away. The threads alone on how much of a pain in the A$$ The charging handle can be for a first time user made me hesitate. I looked at this as a "safety" feature.  Knowing it is ammo picky was hard for me because my issued duty ammo was not on the Kriss "approved" list.  I still have an issue every now and then cause Federal HST .45 and my Kriss have their arguments but ultimately the Kriss runs on it. Knowing how to manage a primary and secondary weapon malfunction with my Kriss gives me the confidence to carry it. Believe me, I have had some HARD malfunctions that made me think of trashing the Kriss, but the fun of shooting it in training won out. Now that I feel significantly familiarized with the Kriss after many many rounds, it has my trust.

This is an gun with its quirks and I have had a disfunctial but rewarding relationship with it initially. I carry this gun for very specific reasons. I am a K9 handler and needed a weapon platform that I could accurately shoot one handed. I came up with a sling system that worked for me to do that before I added a Sig Brace. I work in remote brushy environments. Barrel length and .45 penetration in heavy brush won out over my AR.
Building entry, I love my Kriss.  But there are times I still grab my AR over the Kriss.

It's a very specialized tool and has its applications. Ultimately it is fun to shoot.  It is far from a turnkey platform IMHO. But you will enjoy making it what you want and working to make it run.
Big things to consider if you purchase :

*Doing mag spring mods!!!
*Trigger polish mod.
*Polish feed ramp.
*Train Train Train.
*Clean mags / weapon often. Lube lube lube.....

My Kriss has never been back to Kriss in Va. Beach. If I have minor issues, it goes in the rack and I research the fix. I live on west coast and think it is BS to send a gun to Kriss to sit in a que to be worked on for a fee. I have found resolution to every issue here on this site.

My 2 cents and not worth much. Ultimately the Kriss is a great addition to any collection, turns head at the range and is a great journey in firearm ownership.

I will be buying a 9mm and look forward to the new trigger. I only know a few people that carry this on duty.  Hopefully this helps. Pardon any tangents , rants,or lack of flow. Watching my kids while I typed this.  

Safe shooting and enjoy the wealth of info on Kriss Talk. Hopefully you add a Kriss to your quiver. rocks

https://i.servimg.com/u/f38/18/20/74/78/image13.jpg

Last edited by TwigPig on Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Image add)
TwigPig
TwigPig

Back to top Go down

Post by theviolin3 Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:01 pm

I've been researching Kriss for at least a year and a half and overall I'm ready to dive in. You took the works out of my skull for sure. I was a lil daunted by the negative topics here but my research as of late is proving Kriss had really improved and is reliable as you stated. I will certainly do the mods, thanks for the heads up so I can fix and possibly mitigate problems before they happen!! I'm looking to make the commitment mid feb and make my intro to the Kriss world official!!

theviolin3

Back to top Go down

Post by sniiped Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:56 pm

i know what you're asking, but i wanted to put it out there incase you or someone reading doesn't know...

barrel length doesn't have anything to do with accuracy. barrel length affects muzzle velocity.

that's my psa for the day.

sniiped

Back to top Go down

Post by theviolin3 Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:33 pm

ok now we're talking, Ive been shooting for 3yrs and don't know a lot technically and I believe you worded it best to help me understand what I'm looking for. I don't fully understand it and trying to figure out crb or SDP really had me scratching my skull because all I understand is barrel length = accuracy. Seeing the sdp shoot the same 200+yrd as the crb really threw a wrench on which to buy.

theviolin3

Back to top Go down

Post by sniiped Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:15 am

technically, in many cases (especially this one), a longer barrel will decrease accuracy because the barrel will whip and flex from the round being fired and throw off the path of the bullet. with a shorter barrel you have less barrel flex (and in many cases) more accuracy. barrel length comes into play for many rounds when it comes to muzzle velocity. gravity works on everything. using generic info here, if a bullet has 10 inches of drop at 200 yards out of a 16 inch barrel, that same bullet from the same gun may have 10 inches of drop at 125 yards out of a 10 barrel because it isn't traveling as fast so it doesn't necessarily travel as far.

I could be wrong here, but i dont think that applies to the .45 acp because it doesn't gain any considerable velocity after 7 or 8 inches of barrel. like i said, i could be completely off on this second part.

sniiped

Back to top Go down

Post by theviolin3 Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:58 am

sniiped wrote:technically, in many cases (especially this one), a longer barrel will decrease accuracy because the barrel will whip and flex from the round being fired and throw off the path of the bullet.  with a shorter barrel you have less barrel flex (and in many cases) more accuracy.  barrel length comes into play for many rounds when it comes to muzzle velocity.  gravity works on everything.  using generic info here, if a bullet has 10 inches of drop at 200 yards out of a 16 inch barrel, that same bullet from the same gun may have 10 inches of drop at 125 yards out of a 10 barrel because it isn't traveling as fast so it doesn't necessarily travel as far.  

I could be wrong here, but i dont think that applies to the .45 acp because it doesn't gain any considerable velocity after 7 or 8 inches of barrel.    like i said, i could be completely off on this second part.

Well you're on point to what I'm getting at, the proposal that I heard on the iraqivetern8888 video review on the sdp and crb stating 45 acp doesn't need a 16" barrel to be more accurate. Like I said that video scrambled my way of thinking and really hindered decision on crb or sdp. I may go sdp 6.5" barrel as a happy medium. Good info on this topic so far, really hope more comes to light. Thanks

theviolin3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down