KRISSTALK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vector 9mm CRB Damage

3 posters

Go down

Vector 9mm CRB Damage Empty Vector 9mm CRB Damage

Post by Colonel Hazard Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:34 pm

Just a little heads up for y'all. My name is Josh, I've got a Gen 2 CBR 9mm with the square barrel shroud. I've fired about 2500 rounds through it and I notices the shroud was getting loose on the barrel. I tried tightening the little set screw but the hulk using an impact drive must have put it on from the factory. After multiple failed attempts, the crappy little set screw got stripped out. So after drilling, snapping bits, breaking screw extractors and then eventually having to cut the darn thing off the barrel it was over. I contacted Kriss customer service on 3 different occasions in an attempt to get help/and parts and received very little help. Just kinda crappy it happen,  but I'm just glad nothing has permanent damage. Just FYI, if y'all have issues, good luck, I know where you can get a new barrel shroud for cheap.

Last edited by Colonel Hazard on Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Colonel Hazard

Back to top Go down

Vector 9mm CRB Damage Empty Re: Vector 9mm CRB Damage

Post by Colonel Hazard Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:40 pm

Vector 9mm CRB Damage Img_2018
Vector 9mm CRB Damage Img_2017
Vector 9mm CRB Damage Img_2016

Colonel Hazard

Back to top Go down

Post by mambro Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:41 pm

Wow, that's nuts! Thanks for the heads up! (Oh, and WELCOME to the forum!)
mambro
mambro
MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Readyman Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:58 pm

I checked out my shroud set screw. Sure enough. Just like the rest of the receiver&sideplate screws, they all have the 'miracle of modern chemistry' Red Threadlocker on em.
I used a propane torch and an IR thermometer to get to the +550F needed to release the Red Threadlocker bond. Thats high enough to change the properties of the steel. Small screw diameters really don't have the hex head strength for this kind of stuff! My success rate was only about 75%.
Readyman
Readyman

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonel Hazard Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:05 pm

Yeah, I tried that too. I heated it up to about 550+, but I was afraid if melting through the thin aluminum shroud. I tried everything, I even held a soldering iron direct heat on only the set screw, and still got nothing. I fought with it for a while weekend, even got new taps and set screws the correct size and 2 sizes up just in case... But you see how it ended. The customer service just just very lack luster.

Colonel Hazard

Back to top Go down

Post by mambro Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:08 pm

Readyman wrote:...I used a propane torch and an IR thermometer to get to the +550F needed to release the Red Threadlocker bond. Thats high enough to change the properties of the steel. Small screw diameters really don't have the hex head strength for this kind of stuff! My success rate was only about 75%.
The red stuff is supposed to come lose at 500, but either way... totally agree it's overly strong for a set screw in a Vector barrel shroud.   wtf
mambro
mambro
MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Readyman Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:05 pm

mambro wrote:
Readyman wrote:...I used a propane torch and an IR thermometer to get to the +550F needed to release the Red Threadlocker bond. Thats high enough to change the properties of the steel. Small screw diameters really don't have the hex head strength for this kind of stuff! My success rate was only about 75%.
The red stuff is supposed to come lose at 500 but either way... totally agree it's overly strong for a set screw in a Vector barrel shroud.   wtf

Elsewhere with bigger screws and hex keys the red works good, but on these little screws - no!!!!
I reset all my Kriss screws using the new high temp blue threadlocker, I was in and out of the receiver a lot.

Last edited by Readyman on Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Readyman
Readyman

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonel Hazard Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:22 pm

I worked in aviation for 8 years and now work in aerospace and we almost NEVER use lock tight on anything, even on ground support stuff. Even in the military! There are lots of better ways they could have secured that , other than a 4mm set screw with red lock tight. Blows my mind!

Colonel Hazard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down