KRISSTALK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to forum.....SDP as LE duty weapon?(Secondary)

+2
CatMostFeared
TwigPig
6 posters

Go down

New to forum.....SDP as LE duty weapon?(Secondary) Empty New to forum.....SDP as LE duty weapon?(Secondary)

Post by TwigPig Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:09 pm

Greetings! First post to the forum but have been researching for weeks. I have been scouring the forum to see if anyone out there is using the SDP in LE. I am a K9 handler and have been looking for a platform that is compact, and single hand shooting "friendly"(vs AR type platform). Obviously, reliability is kind of a big deal. From reading throughout the forum, it seems the SDP is the way to go as I am restricted to a pistol / pistol caliber weapon system within my agency, for a personally owned weapon.....I have already worked out a Deal direct through Kriss and have had the opportunity to shoot the CBR but not an SDP.......Thanks for any input! Any thoughts? suggestions.?
TwigPig
TwigPig

Back to top Go down

New to forum.....SDP as LE duty weapon?(Secondary) Empty Re: New to forum.....SDP as LE duty weapon?(Secondary)

Post by CatMostFeared Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:40 am

welcome to the forum and that great you can use the Kriss
I run a SBR and the pistol is a good choice when used with a sling
CatMostFeared
CatMostFeared
Admin

http://www.krisstalk.com

Back to top Go down

New to forum.....SDP as LE duty weapon?(Secondary) Empty Re: New to forum.....SDP as LE duty weapon?(Secondary)

Post by mambro Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:43 am

TwigPig wrote:...I am a K9 handler and have been looking for a platform that is compact, and single hand shooting "friendly"(vs AR type platform). Obviously, reliability is kind of a big deal....Thanks for any input! Any thoughts? suggestions?
Hello and welcome to the forum! What catches me up here is the single hand shooting requirement. I'm assuming that is because you are controlling the K9 with the other hand. The SDP still seems like a bit of mass to handle with a SINGLE hand and pressing out (using the same hand) against a sling. I'll defer to SDP owners to give their first (SINGLE) hand experiences.

I'm a fan of the Vector, but you might be better served with a Glock on a lanyard for your particular use (and for a fraction of the cost). scratch

welcome1
mambro
mambro
MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by TwigPig Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:45 pm

Thanks for feedback Mambro, good points to consider. Already have a G22 on board. I was curious if SDP with sling pressed, one handed is more manageable vs AR platform shouldered, one handed. My look into the Kriss is also to provide more range over a "traditional" handgun. I'm a 299+ shooter but need the accuracy at ranges over 25yds.....satisfying the "knockdown" factor.

I regularly carry an AR + full kit. Looking for something more manageable in adverse conditions and compact spaces than an issued 16" barrel AR carbine.

Y'all have developed quite the depository of information towards one unique weapon system. Thanks for providing such a database of collective experience. Forums are new to me, so I apologize if things are in the improper format!

Thanks again... I look forward to hearing about one hand shooting experiences.
TwigPig
TwigPig

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedi380 Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:16 pm

Thought I'd stop in here and give you an update, now that I have the first 100 rounds through my SDP! Smile

Using this one-handed, while "managing" the dog on the leash would be difficult. It's a heavy weapon, and ALL the weight is in front of the shooting-hand. Using the sling and a laser-sight, one-handed, "kind of" works with the pistol at waist level, as that puts most of the weight on the sling and you're just aiming with your hand. It would still be difficult if the dog isn't standing mostly still, though.

*This is just my opinion, YMMV, IANAL, tax, title and destination charges may be extra... Very Happy
Jedi380
Jedi380

Back to top Go down

Post by nih Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:44 pm

mount the kriss on the dog w/ a remote cam and joystick, why even leave the car if you dont have to...sick balls chopper.

nih

Back to top Go down

Post by TwigPig Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:56 pm

Great stuff guys! Especially the remote Kriss idear! Kriss SDP has been ordered direct thru Mr. Evan McNamara, Director of Sales @ Kriss and is being built up as we speak. Can't wait to get her up and running. Agency has already approved the carry. Already designing holster system based on a S&S Precision concept. rocks Will keep you cats in the loop! As far as single hand stuff goes..... Once I get the SDP up & running.... Standby for some vids. Been practicing techniques with AR that will translate over. Again, loving this community!
TwigPig
TwigPig

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedi380 Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:09 pm

What is this S&S Precision concept you speak of? scratch

I'm sure many of us are interested in seeing what you come up with. Smile
Jedi380
Jedi380

Back to top Go down

Post by TwigPig Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:05 pm

https://www.sandsprecision.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=93

Sorry but I am running on an iPad and new at the site. The link shows the S&S Precision, HK GLM launcher holster. I will take some pics & post when I get the SDP In & mock it up...... This shows the concept.

I realize that nopics I'll try & figure it out.....
TwigPig
TwigPig

Back to top Go down

Post by TwigPig Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:21 pm

Till I figure it out.......pics.....
The goal is the add following features:
* more positive retention features. Keep bungee only for STABO OPS, but have positive retention w/ out bungee.... friction lock is the goal.
* hood over safety selector switch, taking feature from my Taser holster that, if possible would secure switch in safe position.....
* barrel would be covered, obviously no large rubber "bung" for barrel to rest on. Need something to keep detritus out of barrel & ejection port. ... I do a lot of work in the boonies.......

The concept S&S has is simple. Blackhawk! Molle mount, $10 worth of kydex..... They charge big cheddar because Uncle Sam is paying and he prints the cotton.......

New to forum.....SDP as LE duty weapon?(Secondary) GL_Holster_1_GLH-x001
TwigPig
TwigPig

Back to top Go down

Post by Solscud007 Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:46 pm

I too think a KRISS SDP is over kill and unwieldy as a pistol. I say get a Glock 21 Gen4 and train, train, train. Train your one handed operation. Go take a class from good instructors like Costa or Haley. Since one handed operation is a priority you should learn to manipulate the weapon one handed. Something that a Glock or M&P can do. Operating the charging handle of the KRISS with one hand is a bit challenging and not ambidextrous. Same with the the mag release. If you truly operate with one hand, then a pistol is your best option. Also light operation one handed is more manageable with a pistol.
Solscud007
Solscud007
MOD

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kriss-Super-V/157275704339968?sk=w

Back to top Go down

Post by TwigPig Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:11 am

SOLSCUD, Sent you a PM.
TwigPig
TwigPig

Back to top Go down

Post by Solscud007 Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:22 am

Take a look at this DIY kydex holster a guy made for his Keltec sub2000.

http://www.thektog.org/forum/f85/made-my-own-c-r-s-h-shoulder-rig-231447/
Solscud007
Solscud007
MOD

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kriss-Super-V/157275704339968?sk=w

Back to top Go down

Post by TwigPig Fri May 10, 2013 12:45 am

FINALLY! It came in....suffice to say, KRISS USA knows jack about individual officer purchases......and the ATF REGS. Rant complete, STOKE ENGAGED! Got a stockpile of Federal Premium LE HST 230gr and Rem Golden Saber.

First run will be 500-1000rds min. Don't have a fancy camera setup, but will be posting vids of the first run through soon.

Charging is a cinch. Noted that underhand technique works best as to engage bolt catch with heel of palm. May be adopting Solscud AFG MOD. And holster is in the works.

This purchase was direct through KRISs. I was amazed at the lack of communication between shops. Hopefully this system will speak for it self. Thanks for all the help! Glad you guys are here!

I'll post a pic when she's all setup, you cats know what outta da box looks like!

partytime
TwigPig
TwigPig

Back to top Go down

Post by TwigPig Fri May 10, 2013 12:50 am

P.S. inside the case there was a very strategically placed piece of paper stating:

** ATTENTION**
Please review the Owners Manual (see section 5.0 Maintenance) for proper lubrication prior to firing.

Wonder if this little nugget falls out as everyone reaches for the black gold in the case and gets disregarded, causing issues most have right out of the gate?
TwigPig
TwigPig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down