KRISSTALK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10mm Kriss CRB/SO

+3
Solscud007
mambro
RobbAllen
7 posters

Go down

10mm Kriss CRB/SO Empty 10mm Kriss CRB/SO

Post by RobbAllen Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:51 pm

I readily admit to being a 10mm fanboy. I've got a buddy who doesn't think it would take much to convert the KRISS to 10mm. He's converted so many guns to different calibers that I'm sure he knows what he'd be doing, and looking at my 'gun fund', it's more of an academic discussion than a "Hey, hold my beer and watch this" thing, but anyone have any thoughts on why something like this wouldn't work?

My concern would be more of the recoil system. 10mm is... umm... stout, hence why the Colt Delta Elite has a double spring system and I wonder how the KRISS can be tuned to take on that extra bit of oomph.

Replacing the barrel, boltface, extractor, and ejector seems like childsplay for a guy who has converted AR's to shoot F/A 357 Sig. IIRC, the dimensions of the Glock 45 mags are the same as the 10mms. I will test that out tonight as I own a Glock 20.

Thoughts? Comments? Pointing and Laughing?
RobbAllen
RobbAllen

http://blog.robballen.com

Back to top Go down

10mm Kriss CRB/SO Empty Re: 10mm Kriss CRB/SO

Post by mambro Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:14 pm

Hi Robb,

That sounds like a very interesting project. KRISS has put a lot of effort to get the .45 to run in the Vector, with downsizing options to 9mm and .40S&W having been pushed off until the Vector replacement (K10) later this year. It might be worthwhile to kick the idea of "upsizing" around with some of their 'smiths. I don't know how much extra tolerance they have in the bolt, slider assembly, rails (for the slider), etc. to deal with the 10mm... but it would sure be no fun to find out the hard way. scratch

There may be other speed bumps too. There have been other threads with members looking to do their own barrel work (SBR and/or thread) and KRISS USA describing to them in detail how it would come apart, but that it would also pretty much ruin the trunnion in the process.

The "old" armorer's course is still available via direct link while the site is under reconstruction, which may help the project too:
http://www.kriss-tdi.com/images/stories/pdfs/KRISS_Armorers_Course.pdf

Very Happy
mambro
mambro
MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Solscud007 Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:18 pm

This will be a very interesting project. My first concern was the magazine but Perhaps 10mm and 45 acp ae similar just as 9mm and 40 S&W.

Looking at the Wikipedia dimensions on the 45 and 10mm, the length is the issue. Not sure if the mag bodies can hold such a long bullet. Which would make the mag too thick/wide for the KRISS.

The biggest issue I see is the recoil which you pointed out.

A spring is a simple solution but may be more complex than that.

The slider (the big weight that the bolt pushes down) might be tuned for the 45.

im not sure how the slider will handle a stronger force like the 10mm. Just comparing energy. 165 gr for the 45 is 559 J vs the 10mm 983 J. That is almost double.

It would be like dropping a V8 into a miata. It might work. But Im sure there is a lot more than just lining things up. The chassis might not be able to handle such pressures.
Solscud007
Solscud007
MOD

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kriss-Super-V/157275704339968?sk=w

Back to top Go down

Post by RobbAllen Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:45 pm

My thoughts (as someone who has a hard enough time operating a pair of pruning shears much less tackling gun smithing) were that the added pressures and velocities of 10mm would be tricky to get the slider to tune right. Off the top of my head, I'd think the thing would probably need to weigh a little more.

Or possibly not. I was shocked to take a set of calipers to the Delta Elite and a few Kimbers and find out pretty much the only differences (size wise) were the bolt face, extractor, and ejector. Heck, I also discovered you can use plain old .45 mags to feed it (the follower's shape wouldn't load the last round).

Again, totally academic. Even if my friend could 100% get it running, I'm tempered by an empty wallet.
RobbAllen
RobbAllen

Back to top Go down

Post by Solscud007 Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:47 pm

I feel your pain. I have projects I want to do to my KRISS carbine. Bullpup conversion is one idea. Freefloat rail is another. Flared mag well. etc. But after i just bought a Keltec Shotgun. Im broke for a while.
Solscud007
Solscud007
MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by RobbAllen Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:53 pm

Oh, this same friend is dying to have me send in the KRISS for suppression.

That ain't happenin' either.
RobbAllen
RobbAllen

Back to top Go down

Post by Solscud007 Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:54 pm

For shame Rob. For shame!!! You must live life to the fullest. Live the life that I have been denied here in the state of New York. haha
Solscud007
Solscud007
MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by CatMostFeared Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:18 pm

rockband do it
CatMostFeared
CatMostFeared
Admin

http://www.krisstalk.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Royal403 Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:01 pm

hi guys! just thought i would chime in here. It is completely possible to do the conversion. Herron arms in canada does a 10mm Kriss conversion.

Having a guy recently damage my new Kriss, I am looking at doing this conversion as well.

Royal403

Back to top Go down

Post by TheStalker Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:28 pm

Hey Royal you got a cost on the 10mm conversion? Looked at the site and it says to contact them, which usually means $$$$$!

Chris
TheStalker
TheStalker

Back to top Go down

Post by Royal403 Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:44 pm

as soon as i hear back I will let you know as they are away for a few more days.

not sure if they could do it for anybody in the USA with the laws. but they definately seem to have proven the conversion is possible.

I have heard that Herron arms services are fairly inexpensive compared to others but you are correct. If it was cheap itd probably be posted! ha

Royal403

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff R. Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:58 am

When I first became aware of the Kriss design, and how it reduces the recoil of the .45 ACP pistol load, the first thing that came to mind was to adapt it to a hot pistol load that can also act as more of a long range load like the 10mm; and of course design it and tune it for the 10mm. Seems like a natural fit. Then of course there is the cost of the 10mm, but the more platforms that use 10mm, the more the price will come down over time. I think Ted Nugent brags about shooting his 10mm pistol 100 yds; just imagine the potential out of a rifle barrel...! I mentioned this to a Kriss guy at the ShotShow booth but he was just a marketing guy.

Jeff R.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down