KRISSTALK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Catastrophic Failure

+9
timebandit
afponiky
GNice4U
CatMostFeared
Xn0r
Kiptroloxe
Solscud007
Kipp
juicy360
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Catastrophic Failure - Page 2 Empty Re: Catastrophic Failure

Post by Kipp Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:49 pm

Photos?
Kipp
Kipp

Back to top Go down

Post by Royal403 Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:06 pm

Catastrophic Failure - Page 2 Photo-4_zps89c05253
Catastrophic Failure - Page 2 Photo-5_zps8aeb5a5c

Apologies if these are huge. took just now on my phone. ill delete the post if they are. Just learning how to post pics.

Royal403

Back to top Go down

Post by Kipp Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:23 pm

They say here Kriss CS is great. Email them, they are quick to reply. Did you remove the barrel shroud? I'm curious to see.
Kipp
Kipp

Back to top Go down

Post by Royal403 Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:17 pm

Yes i have heard good things about their customer service.

Not even 30 rounds out of it..

i unscrewed the set screw for the shroud. went to pull it off, removed fragments etc, but realized the expansion/mushrooming of the barrel is so bad that the shroud wont slide off. Only way is to have KRISS unrivet the shroud and pull it apart. I also want to leave everything alone so they can analyze it, especially if due to ammunition.

I am curious to see what it looks like as well, from sliding the shroud upwards and peeking in with a flashlight it looks pretty ugly Mad. Seems to be only the barrel and shroud damaged, but I am hoping for an entire new gun so they can analyze the full thing in detail. Will keep you guys updated.

Glad Juicy's issue wasn't this bad.

Royal403

Back to top Go down

Post by Solscud007 Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:38 pm

Yikes. I read your post and immediately thought squib.

Contact Nick Ferros. Check the post and you can find his email address.
Solscud007
Solscud007
MOD

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kriss-Super-V/157275704339968?sk=w

Back to top Go down

Post by nih Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:29 pm

Yikes. I read your post and immediately thought squib.

same, round didn't leave barrel and you shot another round or more into it. If that was the case i wouldn't be upset if they don't replace on warranty.

nih

Back to top Go down

Post by Royal403 Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:57 pm

well considering it was the main range officer that i had let try it thats kind of a rude thing to say to me (the owner). I hope they do help with warranty. It is a great design and my first Kriss. Hoping customer service can at least help me with a barrel and shroud.

The whole point of firing slow and single shots to start was to make sure it was running efficiently. I always look for feedback with every shot. It takes under a second to quickly pull the trigger multiple times. If the 3rd bullet in the mag was the first to lodge and he had already pulled the trigger 4 times rapidly... its pretty easy for the 4th 5th and 6th to lodge behind it. Think if the same thing happened with an automatic.. I guarantee you wouldn't be able to pull your finger off the trigger quick enough to avoid damage. Trust me i wasn't happy and he should have been more aware. The strange thing was i was standing behind him and noticed no sound difference, only the shroud damage.

Anyways i appreciate the somewhat positive and quick feedback, and was just looking for some information. If i truly thought it was due to operator error, I wouldn't go posting pictures of what happened just to get flamed. Its a brand new gun and should work well with suggested and approved ammunition.

Regardless the officer said if its not covered under warranty hell pay it due to the fact he was shooting it and not me.

Royal403

Back to top Go down

Post by Kipp Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:34 am

Nobody was being rude.
A squib is a result of bad ammo. Even though you were using a specified ammo, bad ammo is not the responsibility of a firearm manufacturer.

We have just been talking about the fact that ammo is being so mass produced right now that the QC is getting worse.
Kipp
Kipp

Back to top Go down

Post by Royal403 Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:48 am

You are right my bad
I read nih's response wrong from my phone.

It is the operators responsibility to detect a squib.
Usually it won't even re- cycle the action but apparently it did.

Ways to detect squib are sound, less recoil ( haha its a vector ) and no target/ground response, sometimes smoke etc.

The fact that a .338 was firing one table over, mixed with the basically no recoil of a KRISS, and the longer range we were firing. All added to the officer not noticing the squib i guess, if indeed was the problem.

I guess im left with a sexy $2000 paperweight until i can get a price on a fix.

QC has definately gotten worse. Thanks for listening to my unfortunate story.

Listen/feel/look for those squibs guys! and dont let the range officer play with your new toy.

I will point out that i think i read somewhere back in 2010 something like 12 Vectors were sent back for squibs lodged in barrels? So its not unheard of.

Last edited by Royal403 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Royal403

Back to top Go down

Post by Solscud007 Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:37 pm

Yeah. I was told, over the phone that Winchester White box was removed from the list. Make sure you keep the box for the ammo that was used when the gun jammed. There should be lot numbers with that batch of ammo.
Solscud007
Solscud007
MOD

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kriss-Super-V/157275704339968?sk=w

Back to top Go down

Post by Royal403 Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:07 pm

Thanks Solscud007 I kept the box and wrote Remington. it was the Remington 230 gr 50 round white box. Heard of the same ammo destroying a Springfield barrel and Remington paid the bill. sometimes bad loads just happen, but is why i wouldn't use reloads in a KRISS. This was one of those situations that is hard to describe without sounding like a jackass.

5 of us watching did not detect the squib which i just cant understand. This really showed me the importance of setting up targets at a closer distance with the iron sights. The officer probably didnt even realize the first of his burst didn't leave the barrel, then just piled up from there in a split second.

Unfortunately the Canadian seller and distributor i have gone through have already shrugged their shoulders and denied any help with warranty. They got what they wanted ( my money ) and basically just called me an idiot. too bad was looking at the HK sl8 from them. ill look elsewhere. No "glad your ok". Just a simple analysis through an email and denial of any help.

Hopefully between Nick at Kriss, and Remington customer service i can get the bill somewhat covered. The remainder will go to the range officer, although he is very experienced and has never had anything like that happen. Feels horrible.

Royal403

Back to top Go down

Post by Xn0r Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:50 pm

Wow. Scary. I wonder if ammo QC is non-existent now because of all the demand. :\

And Yikes, I just bought two boxes of Winchester white box 100rd .45ACP. I'll have to be real careful with it I guess.
Xn0r
Xn0r

Back to top Go down

Post by Kipp Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:01 pm

What's the deal with the recommended ammo anyway? What's so special about it?
Kipp
Kipp

Back to top Go down

Post by mambro Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:12 pm

Kipp wrote:What's the deal with the recommended ammo anyway? What's so special about it?
Known by KRISS to run reliably and somewhat cleaner than others. Here is one thread about PNW Arms and how clean theirs is vs. others... as an example:

http://www.krisstalk.com/t94-anybody-try-pnw-arms-ammo?

beers
mambro
mambro
MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Kipp Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:57 pm

I cant see anything dirtier than this. Strom has his own vid up saying it eats everything he throws at it.

Kipp
Kipp

Back to top Go down

Post by Royal403 Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:09 pm

just an update.
Remington wants me to send them the Kriss for inspection and from there may cover the cost of barrel/ shroud replacement due to bad ammunition. Theres not even a lot number on the damn box inside or out have checked all flaps etc. Makes me wonder if it even went through QC.

My initial contact with Nick at Kriss was a quick response but since haven't had much luck hearing back.

Herron arms in Canada does a 10mm conversion so if no luck or help have been considering converting it. would however defeat the point of having a non-restricted carbine as i believe the conversion only comes in a restricted short barrel version.

Royal403

Back to top Go down

Post by afponiky Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:20 pm

What are the potential problems with sending your gun to the ammo mfg.?

Wouldn't Kriss want the gun back first?

Just wondering. Want to make sure you don't get blinders on your eyes with the so called claim of that they may cover the cost.

Just thinking......

AF
afponiky
afponiky

Back to top Go down

Post by Royal403 Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:36 pm

Great point afponiky. place of purchased has pretty much denied any help, as well as Canadian distributor hasn't shown much interest in inspecting the firearm for malfunction/tolerances/ammunition etc.

Unfortunately being in Canada makes dealing with manufacturers pretty difficult, instead I have to deal with the distributors for those companies.

I have documented the event, taken pictures, made copies of everything.

Kinda feel like its my last hope at getting any help. Or could wait another month with no response from anybody. What a headache

Royal403

Back to top Go down

Post by juicy360 Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:38 pm

***UPDATE***

Got my SDP back from Kriss. Took it to the range for the first time yesterday. Put 300 rounds through it with 3 different mags worked like a champ. No issues what so ever. My extractions are flying out of the gun at 4x the speed as before. Was using PMC ammo didn't have anything else to try.

I asked them multiple times via email what they did to fix it, but they kept dodging the question just by saying it was now working great. I think they replaced the polymer lower (It looks a little different than I recall), and possibly the springs inside. Hard to tell as the gun was new to begin with.

Charging handle is also very smooth now. I had a great time shooting it yesterday. My sherif buddy was shooting a 9mm and the Kriss recoil was easily the same or less. It's far less than shooting my glock .40. Accurate as can be too. He loved shooting it.

I'm very happy with it now. Shame Kriss cannot figure out how to test and ship working NIB firearms. Their gunsmith's seem to know how to fix them, maybe all their production lines should go through the gunsmiths before they ship. Smile

juicy360

Back to top Go down

Post by buddybaja Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:18 pm

I am still waiting to hear back so I can send mine in for a couple of issues I am having.

buddybaja

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2