KRISSTALK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KWA Upper housing swap with real Kriss upper

3 posters

Go down

KWA Upper housing swap with real Kriss upper Empty KWA Upper housing swap with real Kriss upper

Post by Solscud007 Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:17 am

So when I modified my KWA Vector I cracked the upper housing. The plastic is a brittle ABS like plastic. I called KRISS USA and ordered a replacement upper polymer housing. At first it seemed like a straight forward swap. Far from it. Some of the holes do not line up. So I had to modify the real KRISS polymer housing to get it to fit the KWA Vector components. Next I will swap the lower with a spare lower I have for my real KRISS.

Here is a picture of the two upper housings. The top is the KWA and bottom is KRISS USA. (I wish I could have gotten the real SMG upper)

KWA Upper housing swap with real Kriss upper Dsc_0810

KWA Upper housing swap with real Kriss upper Dsc_0811

You can see how the plastic of the KWA has a texture to it and the real KRISS doesnt.
KWA Upper housing swap with real Kriss upper Dsc_0812

You can sort of see how the top three holes dont match between housings.

KWA Upper housing swap with real Kriss upper P1080219

Taking the fire control group was rather easy. Here is a side by side comparison with my out of spec KRISS SMG FCG housing and the KWA SMG FCG. They are very similar.

KWA Upper housing swap with real Kriss upper P1080216

KWA Upper housing swap with real Kriss upper P1080217

KWA Upper housing swap with real Kriss upper P1080218

Assembly complete.

KWA Upper housing swap with real Kriss upper Dsc_0813

KWA Upper housing swap with real Kriss upper Dsc_0814

KWA Upper housing swap with real Kriss upper Lower_10

Solscud007
Solscud007
MOD

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kriss-Super-V/157275704339968?sk=w

Back to top Go down

KWA Upper housing swap with real Kriss upper Empty Re: KWA Upper housing swap with real Kriss upper

Post by Kuyanator Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:31 pm

Sweet. i was wondering how close to spec the airsoft version was. I want to DuraCoat my lower and stock but was afraid to do it to the original parts. I was trying to find the KWA version and buy it to compare. I'd figure, if I send out the airsoft version and it's all F'd up, I'm out $400. If I send out the Kriss housing and it get's F'd up, I wouldn't even know how or where I would get a replacement; until now.

Either way, thanks for sharing this. If you don't mind me asking, how much was the housing? Can you order a lower housing and stock from Kriss?

- Cheers
Kuyanator
Kuyanator

Back to top Go down

KWA Upper housing swap with real Kriss upper Empty Re: KWA Upper housing swap with real Kriss upper

Post by Solscud007 Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:34 pm

You can. But it sounds like it isnt something they normally allow or do. Im not anyone special but I have been dealing with KRISS USA for a while.

Lower housing is like $60. Upper housing was $39.

Last edited by Solscud007 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Solscud007
Solscud007
MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Solscud007 Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Kuyanator wrote:Sweet. i was wondering how close to spec the airsoft version was. I want to DuraCoat my lower and stock but was afraid to do it to the original parts. I was trying to find the KWA version and buy it to compare. I'd figure, if I send out the airsoft version and it's all F'd up, I'm out $400. If I send out the Kriss housing and it get's F'd up, I wouldn't even know how or where I would get a replacement; until now.

Either way, thanks for sharing this. If you don't mind me asking, how much was the housing? Can you order a lower housing and stock from Kriss?

- Cheers

Kuyanator, how can you have firearms in Philly? Isn't it almost as bad as NYC?

Anyway check this thread out. This is what you seek. It has been a plan of mine, almost the moment I bought my KRISS back in 2010, to coat the polymer housing.

http://www.krisstalk.com/t729-cerakoted-kriss-vector-parts

Oh yeah you don't want to use the airsoft plastic housings on the real thing. They won't mate perfectly and they are brittle ABS plastic. They might crack and break under recoil.

Last edited by Solscud007 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Solscud007
Solscud007
MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuyanator Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:45 pm

Well, I'll try the old Kuya charm and see if I can sweet talk into getting one. That is exactly what I wanted to do. Although, I still think I'm going to get the KWA just because it looks wicked cool.

As far as firearm ownership goes, the great state of Pennsylvania does not have any restrictions. As a matter of fact, I had several Class III's on a gun trust, but you can also go the LLC route or if lucky enough, get a CLEO to sign.

BTW. I saw your USPSA videos. I've been meaning to ask you about that. Like what division does the Vector qualify for? I thought the mag lengths are limited to something like 170mm. Do you just use the 13 round Glock 21 mags and not he MagEx?

I am interested in getting into practical shooting with the Vector but have no clue where to start.
Kuyanator
Kuyanator

Back to top Go down

Post by Solscud007 Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:18 pm

I lived in PGH for a few years (that is when I bought my KRISS). Anyway I thought Philly had it's own set of rules regarding firearms. I guess Im wrong.

It is pretty simple to get into USPSA. Local match = local rules.

When I moved to NY I contacted all the nearby shooting clubs and inquired about Action Pistol. Most of them only allowed Pistol Caliber Carbines in dedicated matches. But to use them in a pistol match was a big NO.

However the one club nearest me, said "C'mon over and bring the KRISS" I spoke with the Pistol Director about it. In NY you have to have a pistl permit before you can touch a pistol. No joke. Can't just borrow a friend's and shoot at the range, even if he is there supervising.

Since they understood my dilemma, they allowed me to shoot. I was scored but we werent a sanctioned USPSA club just yet. When we got the USPSA sanction, we did not upload my scores. Since there is no pistol caliber division.

All that mattered to me was trigger time. And that I was not going to a stupid stagnant range. The range we shoot at normally only allows one shot at a time. No rapid firing and no target transitions. BORING!!!! How am I supposed to build up my weapon manipulation skills? Thank GOD for the Northern Westchester Rifle Association. When we run our matches, we are allowed to play by our own set of rules. So rapid firing, multiple targets, steel etc. Way more fun and interactive.

Using my KRISS at pistol matches gave me what I was looking for. The pistol matches provide challenging objectives while udner the clock for a faux induced stress.

I have limited time and funds to shoot. So I cant go to the range that often. The pisto matches cram a lot of different targets and to me best bang for the buck. Target acquisition, target transitioning/Sight alignment, ammo management manipulation of the weapon while moving etc. You dont get a lot of those at a stagnant range.

I think shooting at the same paper target is a waste of my time. It is like going to a driving range and pretending to yourself that you can play golf. Not the same thing as going to a real golf course. It may not be a full 18 hole course but it is more dynamic.

Again go to USPSA website. They have a listing of clubs that do Action Pistol matches. Talk to the match director.

With regards to the magazines, NY has a 10 rd mag limit. However preban mags were allowed. I used to shoot with 13 round prebann with the MagEx on them. But I soon realized that having more ammo isnt helping me. It isnt challenging me. Sure it helps my stage times cause I dont have to reload. But I use these matches as an opportunity for repetition in training. As Travis Haley says "Added Value". I shoot USPSA production class with my Glock 21. I use 10 rd mags. even if I could use my 13 rd mags the division limits me to 10 rds anyway. And preban mags are now illegal in NY.

By forcing myself to shoot 10 rd mags, I have to reload more frequently. My reloads have gotten MUCH better.

June 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIOcs4rBYYY

Dec 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l9YVC3jLD4

July 2012 (last time I used the KRISS in a pistol match)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLlwSSnD8fE

March 2013 (glock)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB3c7CiRPYA

So the practice with the KRISS really helped to improve my reloads. As you can see with my glock I have gotten much faster.

The KRISS has some issues when running it fast. Like trying to insert a full mag on a closed bolt. Many times I thought it was in, but ohh nooo it isnt. It slows me down.

Anyway if you have any more questions just ask.
Solscud007
Solscud007
MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Brick Stone Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:42 am

You should hook some of us up with modded housings. I would pay a fast $100 for modded housings for my replica.

Brick Stone

Back to top Go down

Post by Solscud007 Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:55 am

Sadly Brian what you want to pay and what it actually costs are two different things. Just the housings are over $100.
Solscud007
Solscud007
MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Brick Stone Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:15 am

In this very thread on April 3, you posted $60 and $39 - last I checked, those 2 numbers Total $99. So how is it now they are over $100?

Brick Stone

Back to top Go down

Post by Solscud007 Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:16 pm

I dont know if the parts are at that price normally. The $60 was an OLD price from last year when i ordered a spare lower housing. Something they told me they dont normally sell. So You can try and order them. I am just warning you that the price may have changed. Also I was taking into consideration the shipping which is rather high as it is Fedex there is no cheaper option. Also the replacement stock is about $60 as well.

Also I woulld charge for the modification. But Im pretty sure you are more than capable of performing the modification yourself. You have a talented guy and Im confident in your skills.
Solscud007
Solscud007
MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down