KRISSTALK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prototype: Dual Mag Holder Grip - Cadet II Flashlight Adapter & Cable Hold Down

+11
afponiky
Solscud007
Talyn
AZ2000
P149U3
MadDogDan
MC BEAST
patman
jonj313
Indysbr
cafox
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Would you pay $75 for dual mag holder grip?

Prototype: Dual Mag Holder Grip - Cadet II Flashlight Adapter & Cable Hold Down I_vote_lcap20%Prototype: Dual Mag Holder Grip - Cadet II Flashlight Adapter & Cable Hold Down I_vote_rcap 20% 
[ 2 ]
Prototype: Dual Mag Holder Grip - Cadet II Flashlight Adapter & Cable Hold Down I_vote_lcap60%Prototype: Dual Mag Holder Grip - Cadet II Flashlight Adapter & Cable Hold Down I_vote_rcap 60% 
[ 6 ]
Prototype: Dual Mag Holder Grip - Cadet II Flashlight Adapter & Cable Hold Down I_vote_lcap10%Prototype: Dual Mag Holder Grip - Cadet II Flashlight Adapter & Cable Hold Down I_vote_rcap 10% 
[ 1 ]
Prototype: Dual Mag Holder Grip - Cadet II Flashlight Adapter & Cable Hold Down I_vote_lcap10%Prototype: Dual Mag Holder Grip - Cadet II Flashlight Adapter & Cable Hold Down I_vote_rcap 10% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 10

Prototype: Dual Mag Holder Grip - Cadet II Flashlight Adapter & Cable Hold Down Empty Prototype: Dual Mag Holder Grip - Cadet II Flashlight Adapter & Cable Hold Down

Post by cafox Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:04 am

Here are some goodies that I have designed for the Kriss Vector:

Dual Mag Holder Front Grip - Holds 2 loaded magazines and extends the angled front grip out 4" (see pic)
- This is the first prototype, but it fits surprisingly well for a first attempt
- Need to figure out a way to detent mags in holder, interference fit will wear out
- Need to decide how to do picatinny clamp, probably a separate piece with brass threaded inserts
- Need to carry over front grip details and switch pockets to maintain aesthetics
- I think moving it forward will be an improvement over the oridinal configuration

Cadet II Light Holder & Hold Down Tab - I messed up and bought the Cadet II instead of the I (see pics)
- Fits perfectly, the screw on top of the Kriss compresses the tube and holds the assembly and flashlight in place
- I paid Kriss $50 for their light adapter then it didn't fit!!! I guess it works with the cadet I and not the II
- I actually like the look of the longer flashlight and it has 2 batteries… maybe it’s brighter
- Made a hold-down tab for the cable

I just order some PLA and ABS plastic material to create more prototypes. Once the design is completed, I may offer these up for sale.. SO, let me know if this is something that you may be interested in.

I went t o a new gun range that just opened here in Ft. Lauderdale.. Shoot Straight. It is the nicest range that I have found in S. Florida.. It's fun to turn around and see ppl watching and then asking, is that a Kriss Vector?? Is that a KSG?? Wait until I show up with my new accessories.. LOL

Thanks,
Chris

*** UPDATE ***
I added new pics to show the black flashlight holder and the Dual Mag Holder Grip V2.
What works:
1) Picatinny screw holes line up perfectly with rail, screws secure in place
2) Mag well tighness adjustment screw works perfectly, slightly tighten screw as/ if it wears to keep proper tension on mag
3) Grip detail looks and feels great IMO!
What need improvement:
1) Light switch recessed details are the wrong size... need to make them wider to match the gun exactly
2) Tapped holes for M3 picatinny screws are too fragile, need to source press-in brass inserts
3) Roughness of print in support areas... I printed it on it's side, so one side on the light switch details and grip details are rought die to support material being printed and then removed by me. I am going to print it with the picatinny down next time so that support roughness is hidded in picatinny area and are where the grip mates mates with the gun grip. this will allow all cosmetic details to print perfectly.
4) Finish, this prototype was printed in clear plastic and painted semi-gloss. Future ones will be printed in black ABS... I may experiment with sanding and painting flat black.
5) Mag release button detail is too low by 2mm, move it up and change size slightly to mate with gun mag release detail more accurately

Prototype: Dual Mag Holder Grip - Cadet II Flashlight Adapter & Cable Hold Down Dualma10

Prototype: Dual Mag Holder Grip - Cadet II Flashlight Adapter & Cable Hold Down Dualma11

Prototype: Dual Mag Holder Grip - Cadet II Flashlight Adapter & Cable Hold Down Dualma12

Prototype: Dual Mag Holder Grip - Cadet II Flashlight Adapter & Cable Hold Down Dualma13

Last edited by cafox on Mon May 06, 2013 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : PROJECT UPDATES)

cafox

Back to top Go down

Prototype: Dual Mag Holder Grip - Cadet II Flashlight Adapter & Cable Hold Down Empty Re: Prototype: Dual Mag Holder Grip - Cadet II Flashlight Adapter & Cable Hold Down

Post by Indysbr Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:51 am

Looks good, how does it perform?

Indysbr

Back to top Go down

Prototype: Dual Mag Holder Grip - Cadet II Flashlight Adapter & Cable Hold Down Empty Re: Prototype: Dual Mag Holder Grip - Cadet II Flashlight Adapter & Cable Hold Down

Post by jonj313 Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:29 pm

Hey there cafox... im in ft laud as well.. I go to that shoot strt8 for ammo all the time .. pretty cheap ... 50 for 22.89.... pretty nice range as well
jonj313
jonj313

Back to top Go down

Post by patman Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:38 pm

Cool mods. What brand of ammo is that? Does sound pretty good considering today's climate.

patman

Back to top Go down

Post by MC BEAST Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:51 pm

Very nice! I'm definitely interested in the dual mag holder, let me know when you get it smoothed out, I'll take two, one for the carbine and one for SDP!

MC BEAST

Back to top Go down

Post by MadDogDan Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:53 pm

Will the parts be dyed or colored black?

MadDogDan

Back to top Go down

Post by cafox Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:49 pm

Indysbr wrote:Looks good, how does it perform?
I'm not sure yet, I will probably test it tomorrow if I can get the other side of the picatinny done. I can tell you that just holding it with the forgrip 4" forward seems to make a world of difference in how stable it feels.

jonj313 wrote:Hey there cafox... im in ft laud as well.. I go to that shoot strt8 for ammo all the time .. pretty cheap ... 50 for 22.89.... pretty nice range as well
I like Shoot Straight.. .AC is def. nice.. I will be on the lookout for a fellow Kriss owner next time I go. If you see me over there with my modded Kriss, stop by and say hi.

MC BEAST wrote:Very nice! I'm definitely interested in the dual mag holder, let me know when you get it smoothed out, I'll take two, one for the carbine and one for SDP!
Nice.. I am going ot finalize the design and if there is enough interest, I may make my own mold and use fiber reinforced polymer for the material. I have been waiting for an excuse to do that anyway.

MadDogDan wrote:Will the parts be dyed or colored black?
I just ordered black PLA and ABS plastic for my 3D printer, so I can make them in black (or any other color if you want to get fancy) but my goal is to use fiber reinforced polymer that is dyed to match the Kriss exactly. If I only get a couple of people wanting it and it isn't worth making a mold, I can print the part in black plastic but you can see .2mm lines when I do it this way and it comes out a littly shiny. But, you can sand plastic and paint it, so you could do whatever you want and it should come out pretty good.

cafox

Back to top Go down

Post by P149U3 Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:51 pm

Wow like the idea and how you integrated it
P149U3
P149U3

Back to top Go down

Post by AZ2000 Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:03 pm

After you work out a price, I'll buy one for my CRB. alien
AZ2000
AZ2000

Back to top Go down

Post by cafox Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:23 am

Thanks.. Yea it just came to me one evening. I saw the sons of guns edition and I really didn't like the mag holder attached to the stock and I don't like the existing front grip location... so that is what led me to the design.

I was struggling with the mag detent method.. the prototype is a snug slip fit but I need something that makes more sense for the long run. I wanted to use threaded ball plungers but I don't want to have then sticking up where your fingers will be on the front grip. So, I decided to split the piece in between the two mags about 2 inches up into the center of the holder and put a recessed screw at the bottom for adjustment.. so esentially you can tighten the screw to adjust the "squeeze" on the mags... this should work well I hope.

I will work out a price...

cafox

Back to top Go down

Post by Talyn Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:01 pm

All those are great ideas.

Have you thought about a dual mag coupler that would connect 2 25 rd mags, on the lower sections, "side by side" so that one could switch over mags real quick? Like the several designs for AR mags.

Your front rail design is nice but some of us may use the front rail for other purposes.

With the spare on the right side one couldn't fold the stock but when shooting I imagine most would be using the stock.

Talyn

Back to top Go down

Post by cafox Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:48 pm

Are you talking about something like this? Don't laught at my faux 25rd mag.. I can't find one to buy.

This location on the kriss seems to be the only logical place to store extra 25rd mags (one on each side...) If this is what you were talking about, which option do you like for attaching it to the gun; 1) Using the two screws that hold the lower housing assembly in place or 2) Using the 3 push pins that are nearest to that area 2 at the bottom and 1 at the top? I guess I like the 2nd option, but I need to find longer pins and make sure of standard lengths I can get..

Let me know.. This should be no problem to create..

Prototype: Dual Mag Holder Grip - Cadet II Flashlight Adapter & Cable Hold Down Kriss-10

cafox

Back to top Go down

Post by Talyn Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:29 pm

No, what I like is a coupler that joins 2 mags together, not an attachent to the firearm like a Redi-Mag to which the mag would be held. Pretty common for AR mags.

I may have found what I was looking for in these.

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazine-parts/magazine-hardware/10-22-bx-25-magazine-coupler-prod54829.aspx

Ruger BX-25 mags have practially the same dimensions as the bottom half of the Kriss extensions.

Only concern would be if the magazine catch can support the extra weight.

I'll order one of these couplers (I already have BX-25 mags) to see how they would work on the Kriss extensions.

Last edited by Talyn on Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Talyn

Back to top Go down

Post by cafox Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:47 pm

oh, ok.. well let me know. I could make those pretty easily. But, does think the side mag holders is a good idea?? I could hold the regular or extended mags.

cafox

Back to top Go down

Post by Talyn Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:49 pm

cafox wrote:oh, ok.. well let me know. I could make those pretty easily. But, does think the side mag holders is a good idea?? I could hold the regular or extended mags.

I think you could give it a try to see how it would work out.

Talyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Solscud007 Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:11 pm

Very interesting. What kind of 3d printer are you using? fused deposition? The ones with the spool of plastic filament?
Solscud007
Solscud007
MOD

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kriss-Super-V/157275704339968?sk=w

Back to top Go down

Post by cafox Wed May 01, 2013 2:41 am

Yes, the MakerGear M2 to be exact.. http://www.makergear.com/

It works well.. you can definitely see the .2mm layers in the finished product, but I could send a design to shapeways and have them print it with a better method that would produce a more desirable finish. But, the M2 is great for printing prototypes and test fitting..

cafox

Back to top Go down

Post by Solscud007 Wed May 01, 2013 6:43 pm

Im curious how well FDM 3D printing can hold up. I don't know how strong the material is. I suspect it isn't that strong. Compared to Shaoeways' White Strong Flexible SLA process.
Solscud007
Solscud007
MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by cafox Fri May 03, 2013 1:12 am

I would think shapeways method is more durable.. The stuff I have printed so far seems pretty durable also, but if you go below 1mm wall thickness it seems brittle. But, I could not see breaking the flashlight adapter or dual mag holder grip.. they are pretty solid.

cafox

Back to top Go down

Post by Solscud007 Fri May 03, 2013 7:42 am

Do you think that material could be strong enough as magazine floor plates?
Solscud007
Solscud007
MOD

Back to top Go down

Post by cafox Fri May 03, 2013 8:37 am

Yes, something the size of a floorplate about 2-3mm thick would be very difficult to break by hand. The parts are stronger in the XY axis than in the Z axis because of the layers, so a plate is strong but if you printed an L shape, then one side would be brittle if less than 3mm thick if that makes sense.

cafox

Back to top Go down

Post by cafox Fri May 03, 2013 2:49 pm

I just finished printing the Cadet2 flashlight holder and cable hold down in black ABS... It turned out very nice IMO. Seems durable, looks fantastic! btw, the Power Cadet 2 is much cheaper that the Kriss Light Kit. Actually, if you buy the adapter from me for $25, light and switch off Amazon for $95 you are looking at only $120 vs. the Kriss setup for $350. The cadet 2 may not be suitable for the SBR model since it extends out about 3".

Switch
Cadet 2
You could also purchase the original powertac cadet (1 battery version) and the Kriss adapter to realize the same savings.. But it won't look as cool IMO.

[img]Prototype: Dual Mag Holder Grip - Cadet II Flashlight Adapter & Cable Hold Down Kriss-11[/img]

[img]Prototype: Dual Mag Holder Grip - Cadet II Flashlight Adapter & Cable Hold Down Kriss-12[/img]

Can anyone guess what the next project will be?? After I finalize the dual mag holder grip, of course. Smile

cafox

Back to top Go down

Post by MadDogDan Fri May 03, 2013 5:11 pm

Guess the next project?

My guess is engraving plates for $100 bills. Am I close??????

MadDog partytime

MadDogDan

Back to top Go down

Post by AZ2000 Fri May 03, 2013 10:45 pm

A plastic can? wtf
AZ2000
AZ2000

Back to top Go down

Post by cafox Fri May 03, 2013 11:31 pm

I'm thinking dedicated no modification required CRB supressor made from aluminum infused polymer. ATF Form 1 to follow... don't be nervous, and I said supressor, not silencer even though the author of this book pokes fun at people that make the distinction between the two.

What would a bolt on, no modification required, CRB supressor be valued at? And how the hell could I sell one to somebody?

cafox

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next